85. In the 3rd paragraph, the word THEY refers to _______.
86. According to the passage, all of the following have caused damage to the paintings EXCEPT _______.
a. temperature changes
b. air movement
87. What does the passage say happened at the Lascaux caves in 1963?
a. Visitors were prohibited from entering.
b. A new lighting system was installed.
c. Another part was discovered.
d. A new entrance was created.
Questions 88–90 are about the following passage.
Official records state that the Pueblo Indians lived in New Mexico and Arizona. The word "Pueblo" comes from the Spanish word "pueblo," meaning town or village. The Spaniards found these Indians living in apartment houses, some of them on the side of a cliff in order that they could be reached only by ladders. Whenever they were attacked by Apaches, the Pueblos would pull up the ladders. They grew corn, which they watered with water flowing down in ditches. They wove cloth, made wonderful baskets, and created jars and pots out of clay proving how skillful they were at hand-craft.
88. From the passage we understand that the Pueblo Indians were afraid of _______.
a. cliff dwelling
b. Apache Indians
c. apartment houses
d. water flowing down in ditches
e. solitary life
89. Why the Spaniards called these Indians "Pueblos" is because they _______.
a. were close to the Apaches
b. lived together in a town or village
c. farmed and brought down water in ditches
d. pulled up their ladders when attacked
e. achieved fame thanks to their hand-craft
90. The Pueblo Indians lived on the side of a cliff _______.
a. although they had apartment houses
b. to observe the stars in the sky for rain season
c. so that they could provide themselves with shelters
d. and, the didn't have a lake, a stream, or a pond
e. as long as they were all together
Back to page 13 | Go to page 15 | Main Menu
Civil Service Exam Reviewer 2020 Page 14 [ Download here ]